Oncologists are doctors who treat cancer patients. They diagnose the condition and provide the right treatment and comprehensive care required to cure it. They check the patient’s initial condition and determine the stage of cancer they are in. Then, they formulate the right treatment plan and course. Finally, they help patients manage the symptoms, start the procedure with care, and monitor the side effects post-treatment.
If you’re looking for an oncologist, you can consult the best oncologist in Mumbai from Nanavati Max hospital for your requirements. However, before consulting, you must know when is the right time to visit the oncologist.
Before elaborating on this, let’s understand the type of treatments an oncologist uses to treat patients.
What Treatment Does An Oncologist Conduct?
Depending on the condition’s seriousness, the oncologist conducts either of the following treatments.
- Surgery: Based on the situation, doctors might feel the need to remove the cancerous cells. They can choose to conduct laser, electro, or cryosurgery after examining the condition of the cells.
- Chemotherapy: This process involves injecting chemo medicines into the skin and killing the cancerous cells.
- Radiation: In this process, the doctors use waves or high-energy particles to prevent the spread of cancerous cells within the body.
- The doctors might provide drugs for healing specific areas that have cancerous cells.
- They might conduct immunotherapy to boost the body’s immune system to fight cancer.
- Other treatments include photodynamic, stem cell transplants, and hormone therapy.
When Should Patients Visit an Oncologist?
It is better to consult the oncologist when the initial signs of cancer are observed. Patients should see the doctor when they experience the following warning symptoms:
- Unexpected weight loss
- Unexplained pain
- Persistent lump
- Breathing Trouble
- Continuous Coughing
- Sudden sore, dark, or red skin
- Change in bladder habits
- Swallowing difficulty
- Persistent indigestion
- Discomfort after eating
- Unexplained joint or muscle pain
- Persistent fevers
- Night sweats
- Unexplained bleeding
If treated by the best oncologist in Mumbai, the condition can get treated through the right procedures. Delaying doctor visits might worsen the situation.
You can consult Dr Hemant B. Tongaonkar, Dr Ganesh Nagarajan or Dr Manish Agarwal, the top oncologists at Nanavati Max hospital and all over Mumbai. They provide quality treatment and utilise their years of experience while operating the patient.
Besides, they offer patient-centric care through expertise and state-of-the-art technologies. They are professional in their approach and formulate the best treatment plan to cure the patient of cancer and reduce the spread of the cancerous cells within the body.
Types of Oncologists
Oncologists are of three types based on the treatment. They can be radiation oncologists, medical oncologists, and surgical oncologists. While they all aim to cure the cancer patient, they use different techniques.
- Medical oncologists – They treat cancer using immunotherapy, chemotherapy or targeted therapy.
- Surgical oncologists – They treat cancer using tumour removal operations.
- Radiation oncologists – They conduct cancer treatment using radiation therapy.
What Can You Expect From the Oncologist On the First Visit?
When you visit an oncologist for the first time, the doctor will review your health condition and check your past health records.
- They might ask for health documents to understand your condition better.
- They might want to know your story about when you started developing the symptoms and tally with the information provided in the medical chart.
- After that, they might ask you a few questions to clarify their doubts and perform a physical examination.
- They might then ask you to do a biopsy to understand the diagnosis.
If the results show that you have cancer, they will give you insights into your condition and will brief you on the treatments they can do to cure the disease.
- They will tell you the type of cancer you have.
- Next, they can tell you the treatment for the type.
- Then they might give you treatment options and ask you to choose the convenient one. To help you decide, they might tell you about the advantages and disadvantages of each.
- Then they will answer your questions (if any).
- Finally, they will inform you about the side effects that can likely happen after the operation.
So, if you see the symptoms mentioned above or know someone dealing with the same symptoms, you must suggest they visit the oncologist. It is essential to remember that the earlier you analyse the signs and go for a check or take the patient for a checkup, the better the chances of getting healed at an initial stage.
If recognised at a later stage, the treatment can get complex, and the situation can worsen. The cancerous cells can reach every part of the body, and it might be difficult to remove or kill them with surgery. Therefore, you must take the patient to the oncologist when the symptoms are noticed and start the treatment at the earliest.
Read More Blogs: